I believe that Jesus Christ is my savior.
I believe that he came to earth, lived a perfect human life, died on a cross for me, and rose again to save me from eternal death.
I believe that God sent his son Jesus to die because he loves me (us) so much.
That kind of love cannot be understood by human minds.
I realized today that I have never openly confessed Christ on blogger and I wanted to do so.
Not to be a "showy" Christian, but to ask you to keep me accountable.
Many people view Christians as hypocrits because we preach one thing and we do another.
And it's true.
But if we are truly striving to follow Christ, when we DO mess up (because we will since we are human) we will ask for forgiveness and make every effort to stay on the narrow path.
Yesterday at church I heard a moving sermon. It was just an ordinary day but it was one of those days were the words literally speak to you. The preacher talked about being sure to not skip over Thanksgiving--to give God gratitude. Then we read about the Israelites in Exodus 15 and following, and how they were so thankful to God about bringing them through the Red Sea, and yet, RIGHT after that, they began complaining and not having food and water and on and on. He said that we can see God's blessings in our lives and be grateful, but the moment something doesn't go our way, we pout. Or we grumble. Just like the Isaelites. We see this example throughout many psalms but in psalm 73, you will notice something. A turning point.
1 Surely God is good to Israel,
to those who are pure in heart.
2 But as for me, my feet had almost slipped;
I had nearly lost my foothold.
3 For I envied the arrogant
when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
4 They have no struggles;
their bodies are healthy and strong.[a]
5 They are free from common human burdens;
they are not plagued by human ills.
6 Therefore pride is their necklace;
they clothe themselves with violence.
7 From their callous hearts comes iniquity[b];
their evil imaginations have no limits.
8 They scoff, and speak with malice;
with arrogance they threaten oppression.
9 Their mouths lay claim to heaven,
and their tongues take possession of the earth.
10 Therefore their people turn to them
and drink up waters in abundance.[c]
11 They say, “How would God know?
Does the Most High know anything?”
12 This is what the wicked are like—
always free of care, they go on amassing wealth.
13 Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure
and have washed my hands in innocence.
14 All day long I have been afflicted,
and every morning brings new punishments.
15 If I had spoken out like that,
I would have betrayed your children.
16 When I tried to understand all this,
it troubled me deeply
17 till I entered the sanctuary of God;
(turning point--until I worshipped with God)
then I understood their final destiny.
18 Surely you place them on slippery ground;
you cast them down to ruin.
19 How suddenly are they destroyed,
completely swept away by terrors!
20 They are like a dream when one awakes;
when you arise, Lord,
you will despise them as fantasies.
21 When my heart was grieved
and my spirit embittered,
22 I was senseless and ignorant;
I was a brute beast before you.
23 Yet I am always with you;
you hold me by my right hand.
24 You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will take me into glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever.
27 Those who are far from you will perish;
you destroy all who are unfaithful to you.
28 But as for me, it is good to be near God.
I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge;
I will tell of all your deeds.
Many people believe that they don't belong or deserve to be in worship with God if they are having doubts or are angry or upset or pouting. But really, we can see here in this passage that worship is the EXACT place we NEED to be when we doubt.
I needed to hear those words.
College is a time of finding one's own faith. And it has be tough.
I won't lie and say that I have never doubted. Or that I'm not doubting. That's not true.
But I do know this...
As much as I may doubt God, I doubt myself even more. I beginning to discern Satan's words of doubt and destruction. Praise God for clarity and his faithfulness.
So when you are getting Christmas decorations out WAY too early (i'm guilty), or you are thinking about how much food you will be eating next week, remember to turn your pouting into praise and your grumbling into gratitude.
(I'm sorry if this was hard to understand--I realize my thoughts are very random)
1 comment:
You. Are. Awesome.
Post a Comment