Pages

Monday, November 8

Cultural Experience

I took Latin for three years in high school.  You might be thinking "Isn't that a dead language"?  Well yes, yes it is.  However, taking Latin has helped me with various tests like the SAT, as well as other vocabulary knowledge.  Now that I sound like a total nerd, let me explain why I even brought Latin up. 
Every six weeks, we would have a "cultural experience".  Basically, it was a fancy name for everyone bringing food and we will spend the class period eating and talking.  Nothing cultural about it, really.  Sometimes I would get crazy and make like crepes or something, but mostly it was guacamole and chips.
Fast forward to today, November 8.
I was walking to work from the business building (just said hey to the fiance') over to the nursing building.  In that short time, I heard multiple conversations of passer-bys and they were all in different languages.  I feel like, for as small as my school is, we are incredibly culturally diverse.  Out of the 4,000 students, we represent all 50 states and 32 countries.  Not to mention the seven abroad campuses overseas.  I love it. 
When I was looking at colleges, I visited two different schools.  One was a big (44,000) state school in the middle of Texas.  The other was a small (4,000) private school in Arkansas.  I know, without a doubt, I picked the best school.  The best school for me (and the best school period).

No comments: