Pages
Monday, February 11
DaY 5 - Aswan and Kom Ombo
Today we visited 2 dams - High dam and Aswan dam. We learned that a lot of good came from the dams - like made a lake, saved them from faminine, and it produces a lot of electricity. However it caused an entire nubian culture to flood - monuments, churches, and temples all destroyed. Also, farmers have to use chemical fertilizer now instead of using the Nile. We then boated to the Temple of Philae (or as Lacey calls it Temple of Fillet), which was removed from under the water. It was really hard to imagine that it was underwater at some point because the temple looked amazing! The temple was built for the love story between goddess Isis and god Osiris. And...I finally found some sunglasses to buy!!!! Back in the states, I have 4 pair of sunglasses but I never wear them...so I figured I wouldn't need them here. WRONG. Egypt sun does not equal US sun!! We made it back to the cruise boat just in time to sail off! We had time to chill so I went to the deck to journal and soak up the surroundings. It was really windy and really hot...lots of people were laying out and getting some major burns (and this is in January may I remind you). I caked on the spf 30 and still managed to get a very lovely farmers tan. We docked in Kom Ombo around 5 and spent a few hours at the temple, then shopped for our egyptian dresses. Kom Ombo means "pile of gold." This was another greek-roman influenced temple and it was dedicated to 2 gods - Horus and Sobek. It had amazing reliefs including the oldest calendar recorded. The temple was also used as a hospital at one point, shown in some of the reliefs - people giving medicine,etc. When we finally made it back to the boat, we only had 20 minutes to get ready for egyptian night. After a kajillion pictures and a very good dinner (with rice and potatoes of course), we headed to the disco again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's my girl...wearing the sunscreen!!!
Hi Lauren~ I just received your comment about wanting a blog header. I accept Paypal for payment. Have you used paypal before? If not, we can work something out! You can email me directly at parksfamily4@sbcglobal.net to discuss more!
Thanks!
Jill
Jilly Blog Designs
Post a Comment