Pages

Wednesday, February 27

Contentment

"We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like."
-Dave Ramsey

This is such a simple,true statement that makes zero sense when you think about it. Most of the time and money spent to keep up with the Jones' comes from a competitive spirit lacking in brotherly love.

And even when we aren't trying to impress people (or so we think), we still have a desire for stuff. Clothes, movies, house decor, magazines, cars, houses, and my personal Achilles heel- purses. It's that dirty M word - Materialism.

One of the things we looked forward to about our move to Arkansas was cheaper rent and saving money. However, we have experienced a level of "poor" that neither one of us has ever experienced. Don't get me wrong - I know that we are more blessed that a lot of people around the world. I also can't deny that God has been with us and has provided for us in many different ways over the last few months. Having said that, this has been our first time with not a lot of steady income, no health insurance, medical bills (see ya, gallbladder), no Internet or cable, and lets get real honest - often barely covering our bills every month with nothing left for food or gas (talk about humbling).

I'd love to say that I've learned to be content in our situation. After all, "godliness with contentment is great gain." But sadly, I do find myself wishing I had Internet. Or wishing we could be looking at houses. I guarantee Pinterest is no help to the problem.

Even though I'm still struggling, I know that all the "stuff" of life doesn't really matter. I've learned that sometimes you have to swallow your pride and accept help from others. This is just a season of our life and I certainly don't want to look back and think about all the things we didn't own or do.

Most recently, God has blessed us with an opportunity to move into a basement apartment owned by one of our professors from Harding. This family is so gracious to open their home to us. Their philosophy? Being kind and hospitable to us when we need it so that someday we can pass it on to others.

In the ups and downs of life - physically, emotionally, financially, or spiritually - God is always there, blessing us more than we can realize or imagine.


No comments: