Pages

Monday, July 18

sweet hour of prayer

A precious friend, Phyllis, gave me the book 90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper this past Friday.  Later that night, I was babysitting and in an effort to keep noise levels down and children asleep in their beds, I decided to start reading it.  Well, 172 pages later I was moved by the message of the book.  I have always been skeptical about this book ...mainly because I didn't want anyone to profit off of what they say heaven was like.  Turns out, he only talks about heaven in one chapter anyway, and I will not be the judge of whether he did or did not actually go there for 90 minutes.  However, most of the book shows just how vital prayer was and is to this man's recovery and healing.  Prayer brought him back to life and gave him the strength to keep fighting the pain he faced every day.  I don't want to go into details because I think you should read it yourself...it's wonderful!

And talk about perfect timing... thank you, Phyllis!
Thank you, Lord, for giving her such a caring and kind heart.


Speaking of prayer, this song has been in my head a lot lately:

"Sweet hour of prayer, sweet hour of prayer, that calls me from a world of care,
And bids me, at my Father's throne, make all my wants and wishes known!
In seasons of distress and grief, my soul has often found relief
and oft escaped the tempters' snare, by thy return,
sweet hour of prayer."

(coincidence?  I think not.)

An hour of prayer.
A specific time every day to talk to God.
Starting today, I will be praying daily at 9 pm for those who have asked for and need prayers.

This will be the time that I pray for Meg, and for others who are hurting or sick.
It will be a time to pray for those who have asked for prayers and I have told them that I would pray for them.  If an hour some days just isn't something you feel like you can commit to, then 30 minutes or 20 minutes or even 5 minutes can be just as powerful.  Also, it doesn't have to be in a secluded place all alone...a lot of times, I will pray while I run.  Not only does it get my mind off of how much longer I have to go, but it keeps my spirit and energy up.  I know someone who prays while they water their plants.  You can pray anywhere and God will listen.

Currently, Meg needs specific prayers for strength and weight gain so that she can make the trip to see Devin graduate from Harding.  It will be a great day and a great celebration and it is something that I really hope and pray she can be there for.  Thank you for your many thoughts and prayers on her behalf. It just shows that we really are God's family, no matter where we live or how well we know each other.


Psalm 34:4
"I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears."

No comments: