Pages

Wednesday, May 18

Thank you, iPhone and blogger app, for giving me something to do while waiting for my hour delay to go by on this plane in Tulsa. As if I wasn't tired or anxious already, let's just add another hour in there for good measure :).

I am a true magazine whore. I'm not kidding, it is a horrible addiction. Expensive, wasteful (after I've looked at it once, why would I keep it around?), and consuming. But I love it. For example, for this trip alone, I have seven magazines in tow. I honestly believe that once I get a permanent address (ya know, the Lauren Stewart one) that I will invest in subscriptions, which will save me lots of money.

One of my favorites is Real Simple. It is one of my most recent discoveries, which makes me a little sad since this magazine was made for us "type A" perfection people. It is all about cleaning, organizing, and the like, focused on keeping life simple.

In the May 2011 issue, which I began looking at during the flight from Dallas to Tulsa, I found an article called "5 things you shouldn't say to a recent college graduate". If that isn't directly applicable to my life, I don't know what is! I have had lots of well-meaning, precious people ask me some of these questions or make one of these statements and I gotta say, I agree with the article in that sometimes those questions and statements can be hard to respond to.

Here they are:
1. What can you do with that degree?
2. You should go to law school!
3. Do you have a job lined up yet?
4. The economy has been bad before. You'll get through it.
5. My fill-in-the-blank relative just got our of college and she's doing great!

#1- Not many people know what the word Kinesiology means, let alone what I can do with it. I get this one a lot.
#2- Pretty sure no one has ever told me to go to law school but that's probably because I'm the least confrontational person you'll ever know. Arguing for a living would just be awful... I'm terrible at it.
#3- Here's the thing. If I had a job lined up, you would know it. Since you don't know it, that probably means that I have been applying to schools for 3 months and have come out empty handed...so it essentially just rubs it in my face that I'm a failure. Ok, not a failure, but you get my drift.
#4- How is that helpful or encouraging to anyone? I guess this is when it's appropriate to say it's the thought (and not the words) that counts.
#5- Again, that is just wonderful for your successful relative but it still leaves me jobless.

In all honesty, I really do appreciate the concern and questions because it shows me that I am cared for and loved. I just got tickled by this article because it was quite timely.

Well, they are telling me to turn off my device. Have a blessed weekend and please keep the Stewart family in your prayers!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Dani said...

here is a tip for you on real simple. by the wedding issue that is ut now & there is a slip in it for a free yrs subscription to the normal magazine!! i did it & im excited.