"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking in anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does....Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death. Don't be deceived my dear brothers. Every good and perfect gift is from above. (James 1)
Before I say anything, I want to let it be known that I'm writing this for/to myself more than anything. My intent is not to preach or point fingers, just to share my thoughts and get others opinions. So here it goes.
Sunday morning Dorman preached about temptation, reading this passage and Proverbs 7. It was a very good lesson and it really made me start thinking just about temptation in general. I feel like temptation is one of those hush topics in church today, or even amongst close Christian friends.
I mean, we all sin. We know that because Jesus Christ is the only perfect one and he died for those sins. So why is it so hard to share our struggles with other believers? Are we too embarrassed? Too prideful? More than likely, there is a friend or family member going through the same temptation as we are, but yet, we feel like we should hide it, suppress it, thinking maybe it will just go away. But that is SO wrong. It even says "sin gives birth to death."
I realize my thoughts are scattered (maybe because I've been up since 4:40 am) but hopefully you can understand what I've been thinking about. Please let me know what you think about temptation too!
"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23
3 comments:
it is a hush issue, but I wish more and more that it wasn't. no one is exempt from temptation, because without temptation there would be no sin. but I think God wants us to be open about our temptation (like you said) so we can get through it together and we're less likely to sin if we share the burdens of temptation with others. I love this. and I love you so much.
People--friends, family, etc.--can't help us defeat our temptations if we don't share that it is a temptation. We can't do anything alone. We need others as well as God helping us all of the time. Telling others, as well as God, also puts that issue to the forefront of our minds therefore we are more conscious of our actions. I love you and, as always, am so very proud of you!!!
First of all, I LOVE the new look on your blog!
As far as the temptation topic, that is so hard. I am usually one of those people that confesses in my prayers instead of openly. I do; however, have those friends that make it so easy to share these things with. Thank God for good friends! You are such a sweetheart! I loved visiting with you on Sunday and my kids were so excited to see you!
Post a Comment