Pages

Wednesday, February 6

EGYPT = SERIOUSLY AWESOME

I'm back! I'm back!!

Egypt was an incredible experience that I will never forget! It was by far a completely different culture than I have ever been in. I could write and write and write about it...and I'll try my best to get it all on here. But bear with me because we just got back to the Artemis (feels somewhat like home now) a few hours ago and I have lots to do...plus I need some rest!

This will be random... Lets see...

While in Egypt we used 8 different modes of transportation:
bus, plane, camel, horse carriage, tractor train, sleeper train, motor boat, and cruise boat.
There are probably more but thats just off the top of my head. My favorite, of course, was the camel!!! We rode them to a small nubian villiage. The camels were definitely smelly and really high off the ground. My camel was tied to the back of Sam's camel and she asked the man helping us if we could make them run. He just handed her the whip thing and said go for it!! So we galloped on camels, literally coming off the animal sometimes, and I could not stop laughing and screaming. It was a blast!

I fell in love while in Egypt...yes, thats right. Too bad he has a wife and family....ha! gotcha!
I'm talking about our amazing tour guide Osman. It doesn't even feel right calling him a tour guide because he was so much more than that. He took such good care of us! He was really funny, sweet, and very very smart. He always made sure that we had enough water, we stayed in the best hotels, and he gave us advice when we wanted to buy something...he would tell us if it was a "good" purchase (which meant bad) or if it would be an excellent purchase, which meant really good. He loved to hear us sing on the bus and it was obvious that God is really working in his heart. Please keep him in your prayers. When captain told us before we even met him, that we'd cry when we had to leave him, I was thinking "yea right, seriously?". But we did...I didn't think I'd get so attached to him. And I hate the fact that I may never see him again.

I had some sort of allergic reaction to an unknown object. Nothing serious but it turned my pointer fingers and thumbs red as well as my toes. It would sting, get really hot, or tingle. I'm still in the process of trying to figure out what made this happen! I think its just something that would be good to know for the future.

I have never more craved fruit and veggies than now!! Its crazy how you think not having those healthy foods for a week will be okay but man! Im definitely way excited about my next salad and banana!! At the beginning of the week, only a few people got sick but by the end of the trip, many were having problems whether it was from the food/water or allergies or physically sick from exhaustion. I did fairly well...I woke up yesterday morning with a sore throat, congestion, and a cough. But I consider myself lucky in light of what some other people had to go thru...

Well I'll get back to ya later! Gotta go eat a sandwich with TOMATO and LETTUCE!!! YUM!!
I'll be posting by day..I'll have pictures and stories from each day! love to all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you loved Egypt!!! And I'm glad ya'll got back safe!!! I almost cried reading that part about your tour guide, b/c I'm sappy. Please tell me you have a picture of him. I love you lauwen! can't wait to talk to you on webcam!!!!

Anonymous said...

I can just see (and hear) you on that camel!!! Write as much down as possible. Unfortunately you will forget some stuff later, but your pictures and words will be your reminders. I can't wait to see everything and read more. Please rest as much as possible. I love you!