Pages

Tuesday, July 20

the hottest place on earth.

"Dear Old Sooner Youth Camp, I'll remember you.  When life's evening shadows, hides life's morning blues.  Hold to your tradition:  noble, pure, and fine.  Dear Old Sooner Youth Camp, Glad that you are mine!  When life's evening shadows, hides life's morning blues.  Dear Old Sooner Youth Camp, I'll remember you!"

Sooner Youth Camp.  One of my favorite/least favorite places on earth.  Why both, you say?  Well...

SYC was held at Murray State Park in Ardmore, OK every third week of July.  Because it was at a state park, there was no air conditioning to be found.  Anywhere.  Please remember - Oklahoma, July, no air conditioning.  If you know me at all, you are probably completely shocked that I ever went to this camp, stayed in the rustic cabins, showered in the lake, or sweated 24/7.  I HATE being hot.  Thus, why it was/is one of my least favorite places on earth.

However, on the other hand, this was one of those camps that Sunday through Wednesday you can only think about going home and by Thursday you are already crying because you don't want to leave.  I love praise time - where all campers pile into the tiny mess hall, split up into four sections (soprano, alto, tenor, bass), and sing to the Creator for an hour.  I love the song we sing when someone gets baptized - I have never heard that song anywhere else.  I love team sports and girl "sports".  I love that this camp is where I met this really weird girl who did interpretive dances on stage for social hour (now this girl is my best friend and roommate).  And my absolute favorite thing of all?  Circle devo.  At the end of every day, all campers go to an open field where the stars are shining so brightly and there are no lights that can hinder the view.  With circle inside of circle, campers huddle up, hold hands, and sing a few songs.  Last, we sing "My God and I" and to this day, I get tears in my eyes when I sing that song.  It is definitely one of those "gotta be there to understand the power of it" things.

SYC will always hold a special place in my heart.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I am so glad you had Sooner! I think everyone needs a Sooner in their life...mine was Blue Haven. Love you!!!